I make things! All kinds of things! Lately, lots of bow ties and monsters. This is a process blog/art journal of things I make, along with the occasional egotistical selfie, of course.
I (finally!) learned a quilting technique on the weekend, and I wanted to do a mini quilting project… well, I kind of took “mini” to the extreme.
Rather than doing the paper piercing technique I learnt on the weekend, I did something slightly different: with quite a heavy/thick iron-on interfacing I cut out a handful of tiny hexagons. I ironed them on to the back of some scraps of fabric I liked best (I have a bin full from bow ties etc); trimmed, pressed, and sewed them around. Then I began to sew them together to fit into a space on my backpack that once at pins but has been empty for a bit. When they were all together, I ironed a thinner interfacing onto the back to ensure sturdiness and thread security. Now I just need to attach it to my bag, nestled nicely between my mail/post badges and a sewing badge :D
It’s good for me to take on and complete mini projects like this in between bigger endeavours/commissions. Once I learn a new skill I just want to do it 24/7; I have too many things on my plate to actually do that, but it’s good to indulge slightly in the tendency: to satisfy but not exhaust a newfound passion.
Sunday was a super fun and successful day! I was part of Meet & Make host by The Makers Nation, and even though I was sad I couldn’t take ALL the workshops, I’m super happy with the ones I took. I took English paper piercing (a quilting technique) and book binding. Two things I didn’t actually know how to do, which I really really should. So now I do!! I wanted to do a “mini” quilting project, which, um, I took to the extreme (photos soon) and I can’t wait to use my book binding knowledge for the Toronto Queer Zine Fair (this Saturday!!!) and Canzine.
So back in First Year (sigh, six years ago now) I had a sculpture project where I had to take A Thing and make it bigger. Obviously, I picked a button, and I made it out of blue foam. However, I didn’t really know how to work with it very well, so the button looked okay far away, but the surface was super dimpled and dented and then I dropped it a few times and it got more dented, and it’s just been sitting up on a shelf looking sad and collecting dust for a while now. Well, luckily Site3 does open studio nights for *~queers~*! And six years later I am proud to say I understand materials better and I am fixing up the Giant Button. I’m coating it with poly-fill (dry wall plaster) to fill in all the unsightly dimples and dents, sanding it down so it’s nice and smooth, and then repainting it. Most like still go with red, because red is best. And maybe lacquer it? So it’s shiny and hard and easier to dust?
Oh, and the top photo is how I got it to the studio: biked with it strapped to my back like a boss.
I am installing work tomorrow for a week long show! The opening night is this Thursday. I have work from two different series in it: A Work of Whimsy and Found. I decided to pull out the found text I work with and maybe make a couple more pieces? To frame? Geeze, I should be sleeping instead, shouldn’t I? Anyways, I’m not sure what text to use on the photo: do I go for hopeful or dark?
Fun fact: I will be a participant in this year’s Word on the Street festival! Thanks to the fine folks at Broken Pencil magazine, I’ll be taking part in a Zine Race alongside some pretty rad humans (see descriptions of event/other humans above).
It’s happening tomorrow (Sunday, September 21) from 12-1pm at the New Narratives tent, and it promises to be pretty entertaining, so join us if you can!
I keep forgetting I ended up punching a truck today while biking through traffic. Then I remember. Damn, I’m so tough, right?
Anyway, you can’t really see the mark on my fist, but you can see there on the left (my right) that I’m currently re-lining my favourite jacket. It’s a leather jacket that I my dad got custom made in 1974, and I pulled it out of the closet a few years ago and started wearing it. The lining is finally to shreds, so I took it out and made a new one using some olive green silk I’ve had for ages and been wanting to used. Then I decided to make some new pockets, too, cause the old ones have been patched too many times. For those I’m using some nice printed cotton: [birch] tree trunks on a blue sky. But first I’ve been re-sewing seam lines on the actually leather. The leather is still top notch, but the cotton threads have completely worn out in places. I have to re-sew it all by hand because A) I don’t a have a machine powerful enough to punch through so much leather, or one that fits up the sleeves, and 3) I don’t want to punch new holes through the leather when I can hand sew through the ones already there. It’s taking a while, and I’m probably only half done the process, but it’ll will be totally worth it when it lasts me another 40 years.
This is how I feel about having such a “normal” hair cut/colour.
I cleaned up the sides/back today before I handed out some resumes. I went to Wanda’s Pie in the Sky and gave them my paper CV AND a piece of home made pie that I made last night from scratch. Because… pie resume = best resume. I also dropped off a CV to this sewing supply & leather store which I go to so much they know me there. I already know where everything is, and it’s my favourite sewing related store in the city. Working at either/both of those places would rule and actual jobs I could see myself doing.
But I can’t see myself keeping such “normal” hair for much longer.